Monday 4 April 2016

Stone Curlews, Cuckoos...and a Yellowhammer

I was visiting the UK last week so I'm not up to speed with what's been happening here but a cuckoo was calling close to the house as I arrived home this afternoon and a couple of stone curlews were standing in a field near Romefort just before I turned onto the D27.
I did manage a bike ride around the plains around 7pm hoping a wheatear might be about especially as I had seen my first of this Spring in Gloucestershire a couple of days ago. Alas, there were none to be seen but a male hen harrier and a high flying merlin were some compensation.
Yellowhammers are not really Spring migrants but the few that we have hereabouts seem to disappear  in the winter months. I saw several in England last week and so was pleased to see the bright yellow head of a male bird in his usual nesting place near Lairière as I returned from my short cycle tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment