Tuesday 26 April 2016

Golden Oriole

Despite the northerly wind it's been very warm in the sunshine and perhaps this is what has made the Orioles burst into song over the last couple of days. Another familiar addition to the summer visitor list was the turtle dove which I heard purring on the edge of the Braconne Forest this morning. Not far from it I watched a black woodpecker fly over, issuing a strange flight call that I've not heard before.
I called in at Fougère on the way to the forest  and found a late Greenshank feeding in the tiny bit of flood water which remains.
A visit to Le Forêt de Belaire yesterday was delightful except for the near absence of birds and it was a similar story in the Braconne today so I'm still looking for my first Bonelli's warbler of the Spring.
In the garden the blackbirds' eggs have hatched and the starlings are also feeding young. The redstarts seem to have abandoned building a rather ridiculously precarious nest on top of a beam as most of the material they took up there almost immediately fell down. I hope they find somewhere else to breed.

No comments:

Post a Comment