Tuesday 12 April 2016

Bullfinch, Common Redstart and Tree Pipit

The last two days have seen temperatures in the low 20's but with some strong winds, heavy showers and even storms and hail at times. Nevertheless migrant birds continue to arrive and my first tree pipits of the year were singing in the Bonnieure valley. Another first was a male common redstart in all of his far from common finery.

Nightingales are also singing in many locations and I had the relatively rare pleasure of actually seeing one do so today as they are usually so well concealed.

Sunday's strong winds helped direct me to the shelter of Le ForĂȘt de Belaire and my reward was not only a black woodpecker feeding mainly on the ground but also a superb male bullfinch. I've not checked back. But I think it's a few years since I've seen this Charente resident. Chiffchaffs and firecrests were plentiful there and a cuckoo was calling.

Of note among our regular birds is the stunning male hawfinch which is still visiting my feeders and the hen harriers of both sexes which have been a daily sight throughout the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment