Friday 8 April 2016

Wheatear,Nightingale and Whitethroat

Very remarkably, my first Charente wheatear of the Spring turned up in my garden and even more curiously she has hung around the house for the last two days. She won't stay of course as these are not her breeding grounds but I was very pleased that she popped in.

The second wheatear which I came across some twenty four hours later was also a female but this time in the more predictable location  of a ploughed field. Usually the first wheatear arrivals are males but I'm sure a few will turn up during the next week or so.

While checking for any wetland birds at Fougère (there were just a few green sandpipers) I heard a nightingale singing from a nearby garden. Despite being a very early arrival it was already performing most of its full repertoire... except for the 'jug-jug-jug' bit.

The whitethroats,which were also singing,were at the Bandiat and there were at least two of them. Nothing else of note was there though except for a little grebe, a hoopoe and half a dozen mallards.

A female black redstart turned up at the house today presumably to team up with the male who has been here for over a week now. Also in the garden was a mistle thrush which after collecting some grubs flew off into our little wood where I assume he is nesting. He has been remarkably secretive for such a big bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment