Saturday 16 April 2016

Willow Warblers

The last few days have been on the damp and dull side to say the least but I managed to dodge the showers this morning and visited the Son-sonette near Ventouse. Willow warblers were singing and I saw at least four birds in the space of five minutes; I suspect there were many more. These were the first that I have heard this year so it is likely that there was an influx last night. The other four warbler species which were around on this short trip were Cetti's, chiffchaff,  blackcap and whitethroats. Nightingales were singing everywhere, a few cuckoos were calling and a female hen harrier was hunting near Lairiere. On the way back a female wheatear was obligingly sat on a post at Bois Bernadette as I cycled by.

Yesterday I had a look at Fougère but there were no waders present, just three little egrets paddling in one of the few remaining pools. Several tree pipits were in the tree tops though and a male wheatear was on the Lairiere plains close to where one stone curlew was doing its usual imitation of a statue.

No comments:

Post a Comment