Wednesday 29 October 2014

Harrier and Marsh Tit

The superb late October weather continues and maybe it's holding back the cranes as I have not yet heard of any sightings of their return migration.
The sunshine encourages cycling however and a trip along the Bonnieure valley gave me my first view of a hen harrier for some days back. It was a ringtail as most seem to be at this time of year. Perhaps the adult males have wandered off southward.
Similarly, I have not seen a marsh tit for a while so to track one down in the woods after I had heard it calling made a nice end to the warm afternoon.
The plains still have plenty of skylarks and meadow pipits but little else except for a few white wagtails.
Birders have a thing about lists and it occurred to me that as I've just reached 66 that I might start putting together a variant on the usual personal year list and instead have one based on the twelve months that start on my birthday. I've not counted up but I reckon I've seen about 50 in the Charente so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment