Monday 8 September 2014

Wheatears,Whinchats and Returning Migrants

Despite the recent hot weather (yesterday in my garden it was 33C in the shade and 54C in the sun !) the migrating birds seem to know when it's time to leave and the last few days have seen plenty of evidence of this.
There is a stretch of a quiet, nondescript road in the Tardoire valley just west of La Rochette which seems to appeal to some migratory birds. I have come across wheatears and Whinchats there before, both in Spring and Autumn, and yesterday six of the former and three of the latter were in the same field. Some of the wheatears showed vestiges of their male summer plumage. A further three Whinchats were together near La Poterie later.
The number of pied flycatchers in my garden has increased to three or more and a spotted flycatcher accompanied them yesterday. At least two robins have also moved in and when not singing their plaintive autumn notes they are busily chasing off the flycatchers. To be fair though, the flycatchers also often refuse to let each other settle.
The value of hedgerows to migrating birds seems particularly important at this time of year. They provide fruit, insects and corridors of cover which attract passerines and it's a great shame the the agricultural practice of grubbing them out continues. Last Friday, near the bio farm at La Tâche a short stretch of hedge held several migrating birds including at least four redstarts, a whitethroat, a red backed shrike and several willow warblers. Elsewhere, I have seen a few tree pipits which seemed to be on the move.
I must not have spent much time looking at river this year as it was not until this week that I came across my first Charente kingfisher of 2014. It obliging sat on the bridge just below me as I paused on my bicycle at the beautiful Charente River crossing at La Salle.
The only hen harriers I have seen this week have both been males but I have not seen stone curlews for a few days although I have heard them.

No comments:

Post a Comment