Tuesday 5 April 2011

Spring Migration Update

I'm still trying to fill in some gaps now that I'm back on line.
March 22 saw me spend an hour at Comporte (St Saviol) while Stella had her hair cut nearby.
This is a very pleasant spot on the Charente with a large mill pond. I had only just arrived when an osprey appeared above me and circled around. By the time I'd popped back into the car to locate my camera he had a large fish in his talons and was shaking water from his feathers. he flew around with the wriggling fish for a minute or so and then moved off upsteam and out of sight, presumbly to eat his dinner. The only pic I got was of his disappearing profile.
I still had time to have a quick look around and was rewarded by a small flock of siskin which were feeding in some conifers.

March 24 I was at Bourcelaine where I saw my first hoopoe of the year--3 of them in fact. There were also 2 yellowhammer, 6 late fieldfare, a short toed treecreeper and singing woodlark.
The warm weather has also brought out some butterflies--- orange tip, wall brown, common blue, cabbage white, red admiral, peacock and of course brimstone. I saw my 1st humming bird hawk moth on the 25th.

March 26 My first cuckoos were calling in The Braconne Forest. There were also 2 marsh tits there.
A serin was singing at La Poterie.

March 27 Barn Owl at La Tache

No comments:

Post a Comment