Friday 22 April 2011

April 22

The warm weather is continuing though it seems to be wet and cool in Spain and the migrants continue to drift in from the south. I saw my first swifts and heard my first quail and oriole, all at Bourcelaine, a couple of days ago.
I watched a pair of cuckoos being chased off by a starling at La Tache this morning. There is a sizeable colony of the latter here because of the numerous nesting holes in the old chestnut groves. Walking around the village nearly always reveals plenty of other vocal migrants: tree pipit, melodious warbler, nightingale, cuckoo, hoopoe, common and black redstart, blackcap, chiffchaff and swallow but I've yet to hear the purring of turtle doves.
Other interesting sightings in the last week or so include a stone curlew flying across the Romfort road and lesser spotted woodpecker at La Tache.

No comments:

Post a Comment