Tuesday 12 April 2011

APRIL 12

Last week's very hot weather has now settled back to something more seasonal but the migrants are still turning up. Nightingales are singing in lots of the woods, tree pipits seem to be common and I have already seen more redstarts than in the whole of last year. I heard my first melodious warbler near to La Poterie today.
A much rarer obsevation was of a grasshopper warbler  which was reeling in the rape field behind my house on Saturday. This is the first that I have seen for several years; the last one stayed around for a couple of days in my garden.
There's still plenty to look forward to though----like whinchat, swift, oriole, willow, reed and sedge warbler, turtle dove etc.............
I don't think I've mentioned it but I saw my first Scarce Swallowtail butterfly of this year a few days back.

No comments:

Post a Comment