Wednesday 22 April 2020

Nightingales et al

Trying to get an idea of what’s happening in the bird world during the one hour that’s allowed for exercise outside the house is a bit like the ornithological version of speed dating...a quick look at what’s interesting and then move on. (I’ve never done speed dating so I can’t be sure about this).

Anyway, over the last couple of days I’ve ventured out and made some discoveries: I’ve heard several nightingales singing and also the chatter of a melodious warbler. I’m still on the lookout for my first wheatears of 2020 but in a likely habitat today I came across a pair of my first blue headed wagtails of this spring and close by was a squatting stone curlew.

A red kite was circling above the nearby wind turbines as I set out and while watching it I was alerted to the presence of a pair of hen harriers behind me by the surprising loud calls that the male was making as he did a tumbling courtship flight. This species is usually very silent....unlike the two tawny owls which I could hear from my house tonight.

In all, I managed to clock up nearly thirty species today showing that some birding is possible even during lockdown as long as you move fast enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment