Friday 7 October 2011

whinchats

My first whinchats of the year turned up at last. Six of them very obligingly appeared in the rape field next to my house on Sept 24th. Other migrants in my garden on that day included pied flycatcher, common redstart and chiffchaff. A grey wagtail was on the pond and I watched a great spotted woodpecker carrying a walnut and trying to wedge it low down in the trunk of one of my trees. I presume he was then going to try to break into it but I have never seen this behaviour before.
Nor have I ever previously seen a partial albino chiffchaff but one has been in the vicinity of the bio farm at La Tache over the last few days.When perched it appears to have white primaries and when it flies the whole wing seems pure white.
Also around La Tache were a wheatear, a few meadow pipits and a yellow wagtail. In all,34 species made an appearence.

No comments:

Post a Comment