Sunday 9 October 2011

lesser spotted woodpecker

Of the 33 species of bird which I saw around La Tache today three of them were woodpeckers. Green and great spotted are common of course but the lesser spotted is always more difficuly to find. This one was feeding noisily in the ancient sweet chestnuts. Also there were several nuthatches. The only birds other than the usual suspects were a mistle thrush, a red legged partridge, a blackcap and the La Poterie green sandpiper which did not take kindly to the disturbance of my brother and me who were moving some very heavy beams from inside the burnt house. If he decided not to return, I hope he avoids the many hunters who were around this overcast Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. We spent last week in Brittany and a first for us was a Black Woodpecker. It was feeding on a dead pine in the woods around lake Guerledan.

    We understand that there are Black Woodpeckers in Charente, especially the Braconne forest, but we've never seen one. Have you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good spot!
    Yes, I've seen a handful of black woodpeckers in Charente, all, I think, referred to somewhere in this blog but only once in the Braconne.

    ReplyDelete