Saturday 2 July 2011

back again---and a shrike

I've been back in Charente for a week or so. The weather has been mainly very hot and dry and remarkably the grain harvest is virtually complete. This must have had an impact on ground-nesting birds and I saw one rather forlorn looking stone curlew this week standing by a recently-cut field--but then stone curlews always look forlorn so I might be reading too much into it.
I've not had much time for birding because of other obligations but I've seen quite a few black kites around and a few hen harriers but no montagues as yet.
I saw my first red backed shrike (male) sat on a wire near Chavignac today. This species has become very uncommon in recent years.
Black redstarts continue to sing everywhere as do a few other species such as orioles but I don't know why some birds such as nightingales and cuckoos become quiet by this time of year. Irv suggests that  species such as the latter ones may already have returned south.

No comments:

Post a Comment