Saturday 30 July 2011

28 july

The weather remains very hot so birding is best early or late in the day. A walk over the plains this morning turned up the male red backed shrike again. He was hunting a couple of hundred yards from where I've seen him previously. I'd not bothered to bring my camera which was a pity as his plumage was very bright in the morning sunshine. At one time he was sat on top of a bush which also contained two melodious warblers.

 Other birds that were around included a stonechat, 2 young nightingales, a calling quail, a calling nuthatch, several calling common redstarts and a calling stone curlew, a flying grey heron--the 1st I've seen for a while, lots of blackcaps, greenfinches and blackbirds (but only one chaffinch) and a family of long-tailed tits. Jays and buzzards are common but I saw only one kestrel and no harriers.

In the evening a flock of about 100 starlings were wheeling around La Tache.

No comments:

Post a Comment