Saturday 5 March 2016

Redshank and Owls

My did it rain today! or at least around lunchtime as I drove back from  Angouleme. But at least the water has replenished the flooded fields which have partly begun to dry out. The farmers might not be too happy about it but some early migrating birds are taking advantage. A single redshank was paddling around near Fougère today sharing the floods with hundreds of lapwings, about sixty golden plovers and just short of a hundred black-headed gulls.
Away from the floods, a corn bunting gave a showing near Lairière and as I passed through Artenac a little owl watched me pass from his usual lookout. The tawny owl which was calling loudly near the house this evening did so under a sky that was completely clear of cloud and brightly starlit at 11pm.

I forgot to mention in a post earlier this week that a flock of about a hundred stock doves were in a field near the Tardoire

No comments:

Post a Comment