Tuesday 7 January 2014

Hawfinches and Winter Warblers

I can often go several weeks before coming across a hawfinch but a flock of at least ten birds was very visible in the mature woodland that lies behind the chateau at La Rochfoucauld. The birding literature refers to the chateau walls as having been a site for wintering wallcreeper on several occasions. That wasn't the reason I was there but I always have a scan when I'm passing in the winter months.
ST treecreeper and firecrest were also about.
I forgot to mention a female blackcap among the birds at Touvre a few days back, and a pair of this delightful species was at St Front today;  the male, doubtlessly stimulated by the warm sunshine, was chasing his partner  through the branches in a rather lascivious fashion.
A Cetti's warbler called as I cycled along the Son-Sonette, the first I have heard there for some time and there were also chiffchaffs around which meant that I saw more species of warbler  than finches today--- quite remarkable for January!

1 comment:

  1. Another unseasonal sight yesterday was a very late flock of about 30 cranes heading south. Perhaps colder weather is on the way.

    ReplyDelete