Friday 16 November 2012

Cranes and Merlins

Cranes have been passing over in the last 2-3 days although I've seen only a small flock of 14 myself. My wife has seen more --but then she has not been assembling Ikea furniture indoors.
I did manage a walk along the Son-Sonette on Wednesday; along with the 14 cranes I came across one bullfinch and a few reed buntings. In total 34 species made an appearance.
Another escape from the assembly line took me to the plains yesterday. I was rewarded by the fascinating sight of not one but three merlins working together to chase skylarks one of which was taken after a long dog-fight high in the sky. This took place not long before sunset and several kestrels were also hunting. Perhaps the low-angled light works to the falcons' advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment