Friday 2 November 2012

Break in the clouds? Go for a ride--Get wet.

The weather remains miserable today but beset by the guilt of a 64 year-old who fears that he needs a bit of exercise I took to my bike. Not many birds were as equally adventurous, however. A trip over the plains and back via Artenac revealed a flock of 100+ goldfinches making the best of the sunflowers that remain, a few chaffinches, and greenfinches plenty of skylarks on the ploughed fields, a smattering of crows, two magpies and a jay, some wind-tossed woodpigeons and collared doves, the usual blue and great tits, an occasional calling meadow pipit, a kestrel and a buzzard, some starlings huddled on a wire, chirping house sparrows and the resident moorhens on La Poterie pond--I can't count the remaining mallard. I make that a mere 17 species!
But there was a large flock of linnets outside my house yesterday afternoon and I'm sure that robins have stopped singing only until the rain stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment