Sunday 10 June 2012

Cool June

It's cool and raining today and that sums up much of the last month's weather which has been very unsettled. It's also been a very busy time for me as I've been painting and tiling what seems to be several thousand square metres of wall/floor at the new house.
Birding, therefore, has taken a bit of a back-seat but for the record here are some recent observations:

I've seen a pair of stone curlews on several occasions near La Tache. As always, I wonder how their breeding manages to survive modern farming practice as hay crops have already been harvested.
In the same area, a pair of hen harriers are seen fkying around almost daily.
Orioles seem to be plentiful this year.
I've not seen a shrike yet around La Tache/ La Poterie but a male red backed gave my brother and I very close views near Roumazier,There were also 3 black kites flying around on that day.
I've seen/heard spotted flycaycher, firecrest, bonelli's and melodious warbler in the little wood behind La Poterie's pond. The moorhen seems to have only one chick there and just one mallard now remains (but Stella wants to buy him a mate)
Barn owls seem to be nesting in the wall of La Tache church and I've seen kestrels bringing food to an opening in my house's gable end.
A few quail have been calling from the grain fields

No comments:

Post a Comment