Saturday 19 May 2012

nightjars

On the 16th I visited my favourite site in Le foret de Belaire near Cellefrouin to look for my first nightjars of the year. I arrived just before 10pm and as soon as I stopped the car engine I heard the nightjars' distinctive reeling in the nearby trees. The light was fading of course but  after waiting for a few minutes I saw two birds flitting through the trees and out along the road where I was standing. They flew briefly above my head, making their sharp call and the male clapped his wings loudly. Then they were off towards a large clearing and although I could hear others (along with distant tawny owl and cuckoo) I made my way back in the near darkness.
Today I took advantage of the dry late afternoon to take a walk along the Son-Sonnette near Ventouse. I always bemoan the poplar plantations that have replaced the natural habitat of the marshy valleys but one can't deny that golden orioles favour them. I watched two males having a territorial squabble among the fresh leaves, their loud fluting call interspersed with jay-like screechings. Others were calling nearby as were several nightingales. In the small area of reeds which remains close to Valence I heard a few snatches of reed warbler song but the attentions of the many mosquitos did not encourage me to wait around for a view.
Earlier at La Poterie pond a spotted flycatcher was in the trees along with a singing melodious warbler. Curiously the former which is usually a silent species was uttering a low alarm call.

No comments:

Post a Comment