Friday 23 April 2010

April 23rd

A coolish and cloudy start to the day but it warmed up by midday. This is the last Charente blog for a few days as we are off to Ile d'Oleron tomorrow.

An early evening visit to the plains produced my first purring turtle dove of the year. A corn bunting was singing and a male hen harrier was patrolling the fields. I watched a pair of grey partridge by the roadside near La Tache and a pair of mistle thrushes flew over.

I had a slightly spooky hour at dusk in St Mary's forest. Several red deer were barking loudly and crashing through the undergrowth. I heard bullfinch and yellowhammer and a pair of hawfinches which I flushed from a conife,r perched on the skyline looking, as always, head-heavy like small parrots. These were the first that I have seen this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment