Wednesday 21 April 2010

21st April

Another coolish start and then a very hot afternoon.

St Mary's forest provided the bullfinches again, this time a pair carrying nesting material. One tree pipit--not singing --and one yellowhammer were the first of the year for these species.

Cettis and grey wagtail were the only birds of note on the Son-Sonnette

The Bandiat held nothing except for the first singing melodious warbler of the year.

Planes are flying again and while noting the vapour trails, my attention was drawn by eagle-eyed, non-birding Stella to a very high flying raptor which was difficult to positively identify through binoculars but seemed to be a griffon vulture. I saw three at a lower altitude above St Mary's forest last May. From where?

My first swift of the year flew high over the house. Swallows are still rather thin on the ground--or rather in the air--- but there was a notable small passage of south-flying birds today.

A hoopoe was on the lawn today, always a welcome sight. A pair of kestrels seem to be nesting on the gable end of the house.

1 comment:

  1. I certainly noticed the planes flying again! I have not seen a single swallow here yet! I had a sparrow having a wonderful bath just outside my lounge window this morning.Diane

    ReplyDelete