Monday 19 August 2013

Mid august

The hot weather has been with us for some weeks now and looks to continue. A female pied flycatcher has been in the garden for the last few days and when I check back to last year's posts I see that the autumn arrival of this species was in the same week in 2012.
Irv and I undertook a long walk last week from Piegut to Montbron------it took nearly six hours so it must have been long----.and we came across our first short-toed eagles of the year about half way through the trip. This species is listed as breeding in Charente but is a very rare sight.
A far commoner raptor is the sparrow hawk but it's quite easy to go several weeks without seeing one so I was pleased when a female flew low across the road in front of my bike this lunchtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment