Monday 27 May 2013

May Migrants

A rare sunny day took me on a bike ride over the plains yesterday and I was surprised to come across two male wheatears and a whinchat as I assumed that summer visitors had stopped moving by now. also up their were four black kites, wheeling in a thermal with a couple of buzzards. A single stone curlew popped his head over a near horizon at Artenac.
Later I called in on the Braconne Forest; the foliage makes observations difficult now but I heard the call of the black woodpecker and, above a clearing, I watched a hobby circling. The only warblers about were melodious, blackcap, chiffchaff and whitethroat with no sign of bonellis which breed there.
Unsurprisingly given the recent weather, the Bandiat is in full flow but there was little in the way of birds except for nightingale, mallard and moorhen. 
A common redstart is singing in my garden throughout most of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment