Saturday 26 February 2022

Tree Sparrows

 Tree sparrows always strike me as the upmarket and tidy version of the house sparrows which probably would even describe themselves as a bit on the scruffy side. Sadly, though, they are increasingly difficult to find so I was pleased when a report came in of several of them visiting a bird table near Agris. It was in this area that I had last come across them on two occasions some years back so I assume there must be a breeding colony somewhere abouts. I could hardly invite myself to a stranger’s garden even if I knew the actual address so on a rather showery morning I took myself off to the general location on the off chance I might locate them.

To my surprise and delight I struck lucky within ten minutes of my first stop and counted at least 6 individuals mixed in with a few of their less tidy cousins. Here are a few pics; it’s their chestnut caps and black cheek spots which are most fetching.




Speaking of bird tables/feeders, mine have been very busy throughout the winter and the birds have already consumed two filled dustbins of sunflower seeds that I acquired after the last harvest. Blue and great tits have of course been the commonest visitors but a coal tit and a marsh tit also made multiple visits for while. Up to five bramblings continue to feed along with the regular goldfinches, greenfinches, chaffinches and a single hawfinch. Surprisingly I have not seen a nuthatch or a great spotted woodpecker coming for food this winter but I’m pleased that a dunnock sometimes comes to nibble at fragments as does a robin.

Perhaps I should say ‘did’ a robin as I found some of its wing feathers in the garden this week and I think this is why…


This female sparrowhawk spent some minutes preening on a wooden archway during which time no birds understandably visited the feeders. But raptors have to feed too.


No comments:

Post a Comment