Thursday 7 September 2017

Two Wrynecks

A couple of corrections to my last post: the wryneck doesn't seem to have moved on as I've seen presumably the same bird in the same sunflowers on several occasions now including today. Also l checked the records regarding bluethroat sightings and the one that I saw this week is the fourth and not the second one this year.
Curiously, the other wryneck which I saw at Lac de Chaban was also still there when I visited today. It seems,therefore, that many passage birds make extended stopovers during migration. This is upheld by the wheatears and whinchats which have been hanging around the same two fields for over a week now. The wheatear count today was a remarkable 22 although the whinchats had gone down to 8.
Other notable birds I've seen over the last few days are a male marsh harrier near the local eoliens, four greenshanks and two green sandpipers at the lakes today along with four black-headed gulls, and  a pair of tawny owls in my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment