Tuesday 10 November 2015

Bramblings and. Hot Spell

Some technical problem has locked me out of my blog for the last few weeks but I've fought my work back into it now!
The last week or two has been remarkably hot with temperatures reaching 26C in the shade and 30 in the sun. Despite this, quite a few smart bramblings have mixed in with the flocking chaffinches and I have seen the occasional redwing and fieldfare. Mistle thrushes have been a daily sighting this week but always as solitary birds.
The empty fields are now full of skylark flocks together with a smattering of linnets and meadow pipits and a few hen harriers are still patrolling them. I've seen only one merlin though.
I took a trip this week to the Charente at Luxé, near to where the new viaduct crosses. I've mentioned this small flooded area in an earlier posting as a possible place for migrant waders. On this occasion there was a single snipe there along with a cormorant, a little egret, a kingfisher and a few water pipits.
Cranes have ben passing over for the last two weeks but in smaller size flocks than usual. I have seen over a thousand up to now but I expect there are many more to come.






No comments:

Post a Comment