Thursday 29 May 2014

Willow Warbler

As a follow up to yesterday's post, another trip to the forest revealed that the suspected willow warbler did in fact turn out to be one, or two in fact, as a pair seemed to be feeding young deep in a clump of bracken. There was never any song but both birds called incessantly and were incredibly active hunters of grubs, settling in one place for hardly a second and twitching their tails sideways in the manner distinctive of the species. They are classed as a breeding bird in Charente but I have come across them rarely and then mainly as a passage bird.
The good news about the red backed shrike is that he was together with a female yesterday so it looks like they will breed again in the same location.
Back to the forest, I located a different wood warbler singing in an area where I have found the species in earlier years.
Close to my house, the first hawfinch that I have seen for some time flew across the road in front of my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment