Monday 14 April 2014

27 grey herons and 2great white egrets

The wetland migrants seem to be drying up along with the flooded fields. Today at Fougére there were just two greenshank, two green sandpiper and two great white egret. The most remarkable sight was that of at least 27 grey herons standing together in a field-- I can't be more exact as they scattered in different directions.
The waders seemed rather tired and one green sandpiper stayed put as I cycled passed only a few feet away.
Yesterday at the Bandiat I came across my first whitethroat of the year. Six green sandpipers were also present.
Stone curlew was present near La Tâche today.
The walls of my house are at present being used as nesting areas by four species: kestrel, house sparrow, starling and black redstart. I've yet to find out what is nesting in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment