Thursday 1 August 2013

more shrikes

After yesterday's post about the paucity of red backed shrikes this year, I saw another male (carrying food) near Saint Angeau and then this morning, when I cycled past the La Tache site, yesterday's singleton had turned into a family of six!
Orioles were again in numbers in my garden and along the Bonnieure , swifts were still around the church tower at St Angeau and stone curlews were calling near Lairiere earlier today.
Yesterday I cycled from La Poterie to Montignac mainly by way of the old roman tracks; it was a very interesting (and hot!) journey done without binoculars to avoid neck-ache. Other than the male shrike just mentioned, the most interesting bird was a confiding melodious warbler as I haven't seen one for a while.
We have just entered August and I have to confess that I still await my first bullfinch of the year. Where have they all gone??

No comments:

Post a Comment