Monday 18 February 2013

Crane Chasing

I've always admired those nutters in Kansas or wherever who chase tornados and the like in order to get a closer look; well chasing cranes is not quite so dangerous but on several occasions over the last few days I've found myself jumping into my car to get closer to the big skeins which are not quite passing over the house. One such case was at about 5 o'clock this evening when two huge groups of cranes straggled there way across northwards but more over Romfort than La Poterie. I caught up with them---they travel deceptively quickly at times--- and their numbers totalled over 3000. There can't be too many left to come!

The other species of note today was woodlark (allouette lulu); two separate flocks totalling about twenty birds were in the vicinity of La Chatenet this morning.

It's good to hear the thrushes singing during our recent warm evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment