Thursday 19 July 2012

stone curlews

The recent comment by Cagouille about the missing stone curlews near his house has prompted me to look more carefully at their usual haunts close to La Tache.  I cycled around the plains at 7am yesterday and several of the birds were calling loudly. I could not locate them until I got to the highest point and then came across a flock of 10 birds in a recently harvested and lightly ploughed field; I presume that some of them were this years offspring so it seems that some birds are still managing to breed.
Quails were also calling but as usual were not revealing themselves despite being seemingly under my feet.
A woodchat shrike was an interesting sight near the Bio farm; this area had breeding red backed shrike lat summer but their is no sign of them this year. Melodious warblers were common in the hedges ans I saw just one whitethroat.
Another interesting sight was a golden oriole being chased by a swallow----for fun presumably.

No comments:

Post a Comment