Monday 5 September 2011

september and pied flycatchers

I'm back in a rather stormy and wet Charente the grass of which I've never seen so green at this time of year. Nevertheless it is autumn and therefore signs of the return migration are under way. A pied flycatcher was in my garden at La Poterie and I saw another in La Tache. A male common redstart that was also in my garden showed only faint vestiges of his bright summer plumage. Swallows have been massing for a while but birds can now be seen flying determinedly southward. Irv reported seeing a white stork near Aigre yesterday. The stone curlews haven't left yet and they were vocal throughout the evenening at Bourcelaine yesterday.
Owls seem to be making a lot of noise as well; I have heard barn, tawny and little on several occasions this week.
The comment from Le Pre d'Are on my last posting was very interesting. From the description and habitat I would say that the bird was very likely an immature little bittern. This is a rare summer migrant to Charente and I have yet to see one in these parts---perhaps I need to do more canoeing.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much - we have checked a picture and we think you are right - we would never have got that. We were on the charente about 15 minutes up river from the village of Taillebourg. My husband hasn't forgiven me yet for the flat camera battery.

    ReplyDelete