Wednesday 21 July 2010

some relief from the sun

I've not seen a swift for a few days so perhaps they have finally gone.
Hot weather is not very conducive to birding and it is refreshing to get some rain and a temperature drop today. During the last very hot week I have mainly been out and about in the early morning or late evening and on Sunday I saw one, and heard perhaps another two, stone curlews at about 10.30 pm on the Lairiere plains. The number of quail which were calling was in double figures.
The little owl was showing well at Le Chatenet today and probably enjoying the light rain.

I became a grandad for the first time today but I hope it doesn't slow me down.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Grandad. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Gramps. Stonecurlew and quail here too and our skylarks are back. The main event though is the swallows and sand martins flopping into the pool to cool off. They regularly visit several times a day - So regularly that we can almost set our clocks by them.

    ReplyDelete